The Centre for Inclusion and Citizenship is part of a large multi-party collaboration entitled “Human Flourishing in Worlds of Disability, Frailty and Suffering”; bringing together partners from education, research and arts sectors, led by the Canadian Association for Community Living (CACL).
The project is currently accepting applications from Canadian Mad, Deaf, & disability identified artists from across Canada to take part in an upcoming series titled Flourishing. This part of the project is being led by Tangled Art + Disability. Tangled Art and Disability is boldly redefining how the world experiences art and those who create it. They are a not for profit art + disability organization dedicated to connecting professional and emerging artists, the arts community and a diverse public through creative passion and artistic excellence. Their mandate is to support Deaf, Mad, and disability-identified artists, to cultivate Deaf, Mad and disability arts in Canada, and to enhance access to the arts for artists and audiences of all abilities.
The Call for submissions is open until March 31, 2018.
Tangled Art + Disability will open the exhibition Flourishing at Tangled Art Gallery in Toronto this coming fall of 2018.
Selected artists will receive:
- A $7,000 commissioning fee.
- Travel and accomodations covered to and from Toronto to attend a 3-day workshop where participating artists and collaborators from other disciplines will engage together to deepen understanding of the history and context for Human Flourishing in Worlds of Disability, Frailty and Suffering. Also travel and accommodation for a return trip to Toronto to attend the exhibit opening.
- An opportunity to participate at a public event in their home community in a format that would support their work-in-progress (e.g. a roundtable discussion, a workshop reading, etc.) as part of the larger Human Flourishing collaboration.
- Opportunity to be exhibited or presented in our gallery and/or a space in support of their presentation/exhibit. Artists may be grouped in an exhibition.
- Assistance in developing creative approaches to accessibility and guidance from our Artistic Director and Curator in Residence. All exhibits/performances at Tangled include audio description, captioning, interactive/tactile work and ASL interpretation, as needed.
- Promotional support via social media and postcards.
- Curatorial direction from our Artistic Director.
- Access to documentation of the work,and the process of developing the Flourishing exhibition.
Please note that a plain language project description and Call for Submissions is under development.